While Visions of Sugar Plums Danced. . .

While Visions of Sugar Plums Danced. . .

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Fried Rice - Wild, and with Quinoa

Sometimes, we love going to Costco. 

Well, let me rephrase that:  sometimes we got to Costco because we are out of a great many things, and sometimes, while perusing the many aisles, we find some treasures.  One of my recent faves is quinoa. My husband, on a recent hunter/gathering trip, found a wild rice/quinoa blend that I was looking forward to trying out. 

For Christmas my mom got me a rice cooker, and I've used it a lot, both for rice, and for quinoa.  (Right now I'm steaming some broccoli over Japanese rice while typing.) So, I thought I'd fire up the rice cooker with the wild rice/quinoa blend with the plan to make a batch of fried rice.  I had a little left-over ground beef that was cooked with onions, carrots and celery, and I thought I'd add that to the rice mix.  I cut up another onion, a few small cloves of garlic, three more carrots, and two stalks of celery, and quickly sauteed that in canola oil, and then added the rice, some sesame oil, ginger, pepper and soy, and cooked it a little longer.  The result was a tasty and healthful dish. 

My photo lacks, as I took it after the rice had sat awhile, but maybe it'll still look tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Foods to Love, Words to Savor

Custom Search