While Visions of Sugar Plums Danced. . .

While Visions of Sugar Plums Danced. . .

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Cabbage Salad or, Coleslaw Without the Mayo

Those of you who know me know I have no love for mayonnaise. Not in potato salad, nor on my tuna fish sandwiches, and definitely not in my coleslaw. Well, I admit there has been an occasional coleslaw I actually finished that had a light mayo dressing - but! - very light.

This isn't the greatest photo, but this is my answer to no-mayo cabbage salad.


Roughly, the dressing consists of:

Extra virgin olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
honey or sugar (just enough to temper the vinegar)
salt (a pinch)
Pepper

I have made others that use lime juice in place of the Balsamic vinegar, and I like that very well indeed, but yesterday I had no limes in my kitchen, so I had to substitute. I'm very happy with the result.

I should also mention the other ingredients:

One head of cabbage, chopped
Three (at least) green onions (green and white parts), chopped
One or two large carrots, diced
Three large celery stalks, sliced

And, I never say no to a sprinkle of sesame seeds right before eating the salad.

Simple, satisfying, light.

Enjoy~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Foods to Love, Words to Savor

Custom Search