While Visions of Sugar Plums Danced. . .

While Visions of Sugar Plums Danced. . .

Monday, November 9, 2009

44 Cordial


44, originally uploaded by Willrad.

I just made this, too, but I did add the 44 tsp. sugar (44 sugar cubes). If you read on, you'll find that this person used rum in the recipe, and I think that could be a good addition, more flavorful. That's not to say this isn't flavorful, but I'm intrigued with using rum instead of the vodka I used.

Other that that difference, the rest of the recipe is the same.

I wonder how it would be if cloves were used, instead of the coffee. . . anyone ever tried?

Here are the notes that go with the photo:

"44

750mL white rum, one orange with 44 holes, one coffee bean in each hole, aged 44 days.

Discard the orange (although it seems a shame to waste that much juice and whatever rum has soaked into it - I might try squeezing it into the jar first next time).

Filter the liquid and add sugar - the traditional recipe says to use 44tsp in the beginning, but the jar didn't have room. I just added simple syrup to taste. It turned out tasting best with about 200mL syrup, and 44tsp is about 200g of sugar, so I think it turned out right.

There was a little liquid lost in the process (spillage / absorption) so it ended up being about 550-600mL liquid after filtering. This fit nicely back into a 750mL bottle after doing some taste testing and adding syrup.

And the tasting: Smells mostly like oranges. The flavor starts off like sweet, mild coffee and then turns strongly orangy, which fades and leaves a nice combination of the two aftertastes. In short it's friggin' delicious. I'll definitely be making this again."

* * *

(Actually, I did squeeze as much liquid as I could from the orange into the remaining liquor.)

And I still think the rum might be better than vodka.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Foods to Love, Words to Savor

Custom Search