While Visions of Sugar Plums Danced. . .

While Visions of Sugar Plums Danced. . .

Monday, October 25, 2010

where is my pumpkin? =}


where is my pumpkin? =}, originally uploaded by kennymuz.

This is a gorgeous photo~

The photographer has this to say:

"My pumpkin patch activity over last weekend put me in the jack-o-lantern mood. I have always wondered why? So, the friendly guide in the farm gave me a little bit of explaination over the history.

The origin of Halloween dates back to 3000 years to the Celtic celebration of Samhain, means Summer End. Glowing jack-o-lanterns were set on porches and windows to welcome deceased loved ones, and also protect against malevolent spirits.

End of Summer was believed that the souls of the dead were closest to this world and was the best time to contact them to say good bye. It was also a celebration of harvest.

When Irish arrived in America, they found the native pumpkin to be larger and easier to carve, as to be the perfect choice of jack-o-lanterns.

Happy Halloween friends =} trick or treat?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Foods to Love, Words to Savor

Custom Search