While Visions of Sugar Plums Danced. . .

While Visions of Sugar Plums Danced. . .

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Zucchini Butterbean Soup

Today is a nice fall day around here.  The colors are gorgeous, and the sun is making more than just a cameo appearance.  Rumor has it that will all change soon, so I'm enjoying it while I can.

I came home after teaching (Pilates) for lunch, and was faced with a few leftovers.  With these, I began constructing today's soup:  Zucchini Butterbean Soup.  Here's what went into it:

4 C. chicken broth
1/2 C. ground beef (leftover)
1/2 C+ peas (leftover)
Zucchini, chopped (about 1 C)
1/4 C. dried couscous
1 small can of butterbeans, drained
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. Hot Mexican Style chili powder
pinch of salt (to taste)
6 or 8 good grinds of fresh pepper


*   *   * 

All these ingredients went into a large pot (moved up from a medium saucepan) which then simmered for about 30 max.  Just enough time to soften the zucchini, cook the couscous, and absorb the seasonings.  You can easily substitute leftover chopped chicken or ham for the ground beef; either of those would go well with the other ingredients.

I have to say, it was quite good~

Enjoy, and if you make it, let me know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. I will have to keep an eye out for butterbeans. This recipe sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just get them from our Central Market in the bean section. I'm a big fan of bean dishes, and often make 'many bean' salads. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Foods to Love, Words to Savor

Custom Search