While Visions of Sugar Plums Danced. . .

While Visions of Sugar Plums Danced. . .

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Fresh-baked Challah


Fresh-baked Challah, originally uploaded by salmonbear7.

I think I'm making up for lost time. The holidays bring out the baker in some of us, and I'm drawn mostly to bread. Don't get me wrong - I love a good cookie - but there is something special about bread.

I have memories from working in a bakery years ago, not as a baker, but working behind the counter, peddling donuts, cookies, and fresh loaves of bread. Among those loaves were the weekly Challah.

At Easter, my grandmother would create a braided bread with three colored eggs nestled in the V of each plait. Very beautiful indeed. I wish I had a photo to share - it's been many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Foods to Love, Words to Savor

Custom Search