While Visions of Sugar Plums Danced. . .

While Visions of Sugar Plums Danced. . .

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Hubby's Birthday Dinner

DH had a birthday in September, and as per his usual request, I make lasagna for dinner.


Years ago, the night before my oldest was born, in fact, I made my first lasagna. It was a traditional style with bechamel sauce and the whole shebang, and I'm not altogether sure that wasn't the whole reason I went into labor that night, 17 days early.


Since then, I've made pesto lasagna, and a tomato-based one, with ricotta cheese, and like them very well. Not nearly so heavy, and very, very flavorful.

In mine I mix ground beef, lamb (or veal), and pork. Brown this with a good organic sauce (or I make one myself), add fresh chopped spinach, herbs, ricotta and parmesan, fresh tomatoes and onions from the garden, a little seasoning.


Our green beans were getting large - a little more so than I'd normally like - but with the days becoming cooler, the taste was quite good. Even better than some of our smaller ones earlier in the season. I steamed a few green beans, and topped with a pat of butter, of course~

Some years ago we took a trip to Sand Point, Idaho, and at a little Italian restaurant called "Arlo's," we had a fabulous ricotta cheese cake, which was most sublime. Needless to say, the next time we were "in the neighborhood," we stopped by for more.


I must say, with a bottle of red, a few candles and holiday lights to spruce things up, it all went down very well~

And by the way, if you're ever in Sand Point, with a yearning for a good Italian meal:


Arlo's Ristorante - Italian Restaurant
330 N 1st Ave
Sandpoint, ID 83864

Phone Arlo's Ristorante at 208-255-4186

No comments:

Post a Comment

Foods to Love, Words to Savor

Custom Search