While Visions of Sugar Plums Danced. . .

While Visions of Sugar Plums Danced. . .

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

So, what does one do with the fruit that has steeped long in the juice?

Peach Brandy/Vodka Jam


Years ago I made my first batch of Peach Cordial, and the chopped peaches, when I took them out of the brandy and vodka, looked so fresh and beautiful it seemed a shame to toss them out. The color was vibrant, and the flesh still holding enough life to make something else.

I looked up the cooked jam recipe for peaches on my pectin packet, and my fruit was on its way to its final stage.

Peach Jam, with (more than just a little) Hint of Brandy and Vodka. Oh, so good. Good enough, in fact, that I had to do it again this year.

When I pulled the peaches out of the liquor, I had exactly one quart, packed. After crushing the fruit (which was sliced for the cordial) I had just enough (well, okay, a little more) for one batch of jam. The yield was supposed to be 7 cups; I got 8. And as it didn't have to cook very long, it still retained the essence of the brandy/vodka mixture. Most excellent, IMHO.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Foods to Love, Words to Savor

Custom Search